Working with network items:
To add a new computer or server you want to monitor select the Add network item from the Item menu or press the button on the toolbar. A Network item properties dialog box will be displayed.
There are two tabs in the dialog a General and a Testers. On the General tab you could set main network item properties:
- Name - is a name of host you want to monitor. The name used to distinct the item in the list only. It is not a network name. It may be a name of the user or any other name you want.
- IP address - is an IP address of remote host. If the name is null then the Network name property will be used to find computer in your network or in the Internet.
- Network name - is a network or a domain name of the computer or server you want to monitor. The property will be used to find computer in your network or in the Internet, when IP address is null.
- Kind - is a kind of the computer or server you want to monitor. There are four kinds:
- Group - is a name of the group. You could group your network items for better appearance.
- Enable - the item will be monitored when the Enable property is checked.
On the Testers tab you may select the test method that will be used to monitor remote computer or server. At the time the Careful Observer supports two methods: ping and port. Select your prefered method from the Kind list. There are some additional properties on the Tester tab:
- Interval - is a time delay between tests.
- Port - is a port number you want to monitor. The property available if the Kind property is Port only
Edit selected host
To edit a selected computer or server select the Edit selected item from the Item menu or press the button on the toolbar.
Delete selected host
To delete a selected computer or server select the Delete selected from the Item menu or press the button on the toolbar.